Jorge Ramirez Puerto
International Projects/Programmes Manager with BA in Economics and Business Administration, MA in European Studies and PRINCE2 Practitioner qualifications with a career in several countries and fluent in five languages: Spanish, Catalan, English, French and Portuguese. 11 years’ experience in multimillion projects related to economic development on Foreign Trade, EU integration, SME financing, Innovation, R&D and Environmental policies, ensuring that each project delivers according to plan, budget and quality with the desired results, outcome and impact in a changing environment.
- 2000: MA Degree in European Communities and the European Union. Real Instituto de Estudios Europeos (RIEE), Saragossa. Awarded 2nd position of year’s cohort.
- 2000: BA Degree in Economics and Business Administration (5 year Licenciatura – integrated Masters). Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia, (national distance learning university).
- 1996: Degree in Business Studies (3 year Diplomatura); specialisation in International Trade and Marketing. Escuela Universitaria de Estudios Empresariales, Universidad de Valencia.
Oct. 2009 – Present. Project Manager, Innovation
Yorkshire Forward (YF). Yorkshire & Humber Regional Development Agency (RDA) established by the UK Government to promote the sustainable economic development across the region.
- Management of the full lifecycle of projects related to Networking for Innovation, R&D and Low Carbon economy issues, including business plan development, monitoring and evaluation. Budget managed: over £8M per year.
- Achievements during this experience include: Ensure that £8 Million from different funding sources (European, national, private, etc.) are invested yearly in the regional economy. Establishment of three Innovation Hubs on Healthcare, Materials & Engineering and Formulation sectors, with more than 800 companies obtaining advisory on closed/open innovation opportunities, resulting in more than 200 jobs created/safeguarded across the region and around £4M in private sector development leveraged; monitoring and evaluation a programme to help businesses access cutting edge expertise from universities through 14 Centres for Industrial Collaboration set up in 8 regional universities (project awarded by the EU with RegioStars Awards for Regional Innovative Projects); the implementation of a regional strategy on energy efficiency and low carbon economy which has safeguarded more than 100 environmental related jobs in the region and the reduction of 1 mill. tons of Green House Gas emissions.
Nov. 2010 – Mar 2011. Project Manager (part-time secondment)
Science City York Enterprise Ltd. Innovation company focused on providing innovative solutions to business
- Providing assistance on ERDF funded projects currently managed by SCY, including: the 'Embedded Business Space', in partnership with the University of York and FERA. Specific activities include the improvement of project monitoring tools, redesign of the projects’ Equality & Diversity Policies, and support in the projects’ business & social engagement activities.
Feb. 2005 – Oct. 2009. Programme Manager, European Enterprise Engagement
PromoMadrid S.A. Madrid Export Development and Trade Promotion organisation
- European Enterprise Centre Project Office Management, including the development of the marketing strategy and the budget services design and control (over €300k per year) with line management responsibility 4 FTE (Full Time Equivalent) staff. Key activities included: to diversify the centre portfolio of internationally funded projects (Enterprise Europe Network, Al-Invest, SME Panels, FP7, etc.); develop sustainable working relationships at European level to deliver the targets, including EU Commission, national and regional authorities, companies from all around Europe and a wide range of organisations. Organization of over 10 Knowledge Transfer and International Trade Fairs & Cooperation Meetings to facilitate the access of more than 150 regional SMEs to foreign markets. Setting up of an advisory service on EU issues to regional business with over 200 assisted per year.
- Developing and implementing capacity building strategies on policies related to Foreign Trade promotion, EU integration and International Development. Elaboration of different publications and research results related to the private sector development (mainly related to SMEs cooperation and internationalization)
Nov. 2000 – Jan. 2005. Project Manager, International Development Area
IMADE – Instituto Madrileño de Desarrollo. Madrid Regional Development Agency
- Provision of information on European & international trade legislation and funding; cooperation and internationalisation services implementation; elaboration of publications, newsletters and website update. Events organisation. Presentations and conferences regarding foreign trade policies.
- Coordination of the European Commission Programme Interactive Policy Making (IPM).
- Elaboration of briefing papers, reports, press releases and website content.
Spanish: Mother tongue
Catalan: Mother tongue
English: Full professional proficiency
French: Full professional proficiency
Portuguese: Elementary proficiency
OTHER COURSES AND QUALIFICATIONS
2010: Registered PRINCE2 Practitioner. APM Group. Leeds, United Kingdom
2008: Marketing Management – How to successfully communicate with SMEs. Stuttgart, Germany.
2007: International Economic Law Program. Instituto de Empresa, Madrid.
2006: Project Management Training Session. European Commission, Brussels.
2006: Fiscal & Legal Seminar on Foreign Investment in Spain. Centro de Estudios Garrigues, Madrid.
2005: Management of Projects Financed by Multilateral Organizations. Epinter, Madrid.
2004: “e-Business” Training Session. European Commission - OHIM, Alicante.
2004: International Protocol Training. IMADE, Madrid.
2003: Seminar on Effective Relations with the Media. European Commission, Brussels.
2002: L’entreprise à l’affût du changement. EIC Network Training Session, Namur, Belgium.
FOREIGN TRADE EVENTS MANAGEMENT
- Equip Auto Fair. Sector: auto parts. Paris, October 2005
- Diverse multi-sectorial Business Cooperation Meetings under the Al-Invest III programme (financed by the EuropeAid EU programme) in Ecuador, Argentina, Mexico or Chile, 2006-08.
- Business Cooperation Meeting, Turkey. Sectors: ICT, Engineering & Materials. Estambul, June 2008
- Business Cooperation Meeting, China. Sectors: Innovation & New Technologies. Beijing, July 2008
- Business Cooperation Meeting, Germany. Sectors: Renewable Energies & logistics. Frankfurt, April 2009
- Business Cooperation Meeting, Poland. Sectors: Infrastructures. Warsaw, July 2009
TITLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- “Practical Guide: European Sources of Business Information”. 2009, PromoMadrid.
- “European Policies Guide. EU Foreign Relations”, 2009, REIMAD, Madrid.
- “The Lisbon Strategy”, 2007, REIMAD, Madrid.
- “Activities of the European Union for SMEs”, 2006, PromoMadrid.
- “European Development Programmes for Asia”, 2005, REIMAD, Madrid.
- “SMEs and Cooperation” & “Internationalisation of SMEs” (translation), 2004. IMADE, Madrid – Brussels.
- Newsletter “PYME Internacional”, Coordination. Monthly newsletter 2000-2003, IMADE, Madrid.
- Master’s Thesis on “European-Latin-American Integration, with special reference to Mercosur and its relationship with the European Union”, 2000, RIEE, Saragossa.
CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS GIVEN
- Specialised Training Course “European Entrepreneurship Tools Management”: EU Information sources, European funding programmes, International Business Cooperation, etc. 2008-2009.
- “Enterprise Europe Network. Innovation and Entrepreneurship promotion in the EU”, Madrid, 2008
- “Industrial Property Rights in the EU”, PromoMadrid, 2006.
- “The New Enlargement of the European Union. Romania and Bulgaria”, PromoMadrid, 2006.
- “European Financing Opportunities for SMEs”. Centro de Estudios CECO, Madrid, 2005.
- “The EU Internal Market. The IPM (Interactive Policy Making) Initiative”, PromoMadrid, 2005.
- “EU-Japan relations”, “The Internationalisation of SMEs”. “Europe matters to SMEs”, IMADE, 2004.
- “Grants and loans for the internationalisation of SMEs”. “The EU Enlargement”, IMADE, 2002-03.
- “Fiscal Policy in the EU”. European Academy of Jaca, 1999.